As summer comes to an end, it’s time to start looking forward to the fall harvest season in Napa Valley. It’s one of our favorites, as it’s when the rewards from all of the hard work of this year’s wine season come into full focus. Fall Harvest season in Napa Valley, which typically runs from mid-August through October, is one of the most popular times of year to visit California’s premiere wine country destination. Wineries time their grape harvest carefully, and once the signal is given from winemakers, vineyard workers race against time to pick grapes at their peak of ripeness. The harvest months are an excellent time to come for wine tasting, and to get insider glimpses into the winemaking process. While you’re here you can take part in fun events like grape stomps and wine blending as well. Fall is beautiful in Napa Valley. Book your room at our romantic Bed and Breakfast today.
Join in the Fall Harvest in Napa Valley
The earliest part of the fall harvest season in Napa Valley has already begun, but the best is yet to come. The first wine grapes to be harvested are the sparkling and white wine grapes, and many of them have already made their way to crush pads around the valley. Red wine grapes take a little longer to reach peak maturity, so they aren’t usually harvested until closer to October, depending each year on weather and other factors. The latest wine grapes to be harvested are those that make a delicious Cabernet Sauvignon. Napa Valley Vintners offers an excellent play by play guide to the fall harvest.
If you want to take part in the fall harvest this year, there are a variety of ways you can join in the fun. Many of these events are available each year, and have become perennial favorites in Napa Valley. Whenever possible, make reservations for these fun events early!
- Be a winemaker for a day at Raymond Vineyards, where you’ll create three different blends of wine to find your favorite before bottling it, corking it, and taking it home.
- Enjoy a winery tour, a wine-making session, barrel tasting, and food pairing from now through October 31 at Round Pond Estate.
- Create your own delicious wine, bottle it, and take it home with Judd Winery’s Bottle Blending Day Camp.
- Stomp Grapes just like Lucy did on I Love Lucy! Join in the grape-stomping fun at Grgich Estate this fall.
- Gain some behind the scenes insight at V. Sattui Winery. Throughout the harvest season, guests can watch the grape sorting, destemming, and pressing procedures on the crush pad.
- Finally, meet the winemakers and celebrate the season at Fontanella Family Winery.
The fall harvest season is also a time of celebration in Napa Valley. Harvest parties in Napa Valley combine a love of great wine with live music, dancing, and lots of seasonally fresh food. It goes without saying that the wine will be plentiful during these exceptional fall events. Come join us in Napa Valley at any one of these celebrations, and you’ll appreciate just how hard the farmers and winemakers work throughout the year.
- Enjoy BBQ and Fall Wines at Robert Biale Vineyards on October 7, or take a harvest tour of the winery throughout the month of September.
- Join in Peju Province’s annual Harvest Reserve Release Celebration, this year taking place on September 9, 2017. Their 2015 Barrel experiment has been hotly anticipated, and is finally ready to try.
- Enjoy some roasted pig at Rutherford Ranch Winery, which will take place on September 30, 2017.
- Join in the annual STOMP party at Bell Wine Cellars on September 30. The grape stomping competition can be intense, but the reward is a delicious bottle of wine.
- V. Sattui’s annual crush party will take place on October 7. It’s only open to members, but there is plenty of time to become one before the celebrating begins.
- One of the biggest fall harvest parties of the year takes place at Tamber Bey Vineyards Fall Release Party. It will take place on October 7.
- On October 21, join Markham Vineyards for its annual Winemakers Dinner with winemaker Kimberlee Nicholls. Delicious vintages wines will be opened throughout the evening.
- Join the Paraduxx Winery’s annual X2 Release Harvest Party, also taking place on October 7, 2017.
Fall is a time for winemakers to sit back, relax, and appreciate their seasonal works of art. There’s nothing better than a glass of wine sipped under the fall sun, surrounded by the colorful fall vineyard views that have captivated the hearts of many over the years. A romantic fall getaway is exactly what you need. Book your room at our Bed and Breakfast today.